Help us to place patients at the heart of everything we do by creating a world class department for the care of older people over the age of 65.
The medicine for older people service at University Hospital Southampton sees older people in Southampton and south west Hampshire.
The team includes medical specialists, nursing teams working in hospitals and in the community, therapists and social services. We provide care where it is needed, working closely with other local healthcare providers.
Our elderly care services include:
- Acute medical care, both in Southampton General Hospital, Lymington Community Hospital and a rapid response services to people’s own homes.
- A specialised dementia ward, to care for dementia patients over the page of 75.
- End of life support, including the support of older patients with heart failure, cancer, dementia, and work closely with the palliative care team.
- Outpatient clinics, for synscope, tilt-table testing, falls, trauma and fragility, Parkinson’s disease and comprehensive geriatric assessment.
- Trauma and orthopaedics, treating patients who come into hospital with fragility fractures and other trauma.
Innovative elderly care appeal
Every year we treat 4,500 frail or elderly patients within University Hospital Southampton. Since 2014 we’ve seen an increase of about 1,000 patients annually who are living longer with multiple health conditions.
Give older patients in your local hospital a chance to recover – and to regain their independence. Help us to revolutionise the care which is given to our elderly patients.
Help us set a whole new standard in caring for older patients.
Building a gym for rehabilitation
The rehabilitation team work with patients to assess people’s function, to improve their independence, or to see if they need any equipment to help them at home.
A new gym shows our patients they are worth investing in.
By having a purpose build gym with them in mind, it shows our patients that we believe they have the potential, that we haven’t given up on them, and that we can help them to improve to get them home.